Are you observing shrinking and formation of wrinkles in your foot? And does this foot skin problem results to flaking of skin? If you are struggling with this then let you acknowledge what this foot skin problem is actually. Well this foot skin condition is known as ‘Trench Foot’.
If you are already been facing such Trench Foot skin problem then just go down through this post and get most effective remedies to treat trench foot effectively. Along with that this post help you in getting every pinch of information related to this specific foot condition.
What Is Trench Foot?
Trench foot is also called immersion foot. It’s a painful disorder of foot that involves damaging of the foot skin, nerves and muscles caused by prolonged exposure to cold dampness or sometime due to prolonged immersion in cold water.
Outbreaks of trench foot can cause issue meanwhile walking. But if it left untreated then condition get more worsen; your feet may also start swelling and several other foot issue. Its other associated problem is mentioned below in this blog.
So, before the situation get worsen take some immediate action to treat trench foot with some most effective home remedies. As this helps in tightening the skin and reducing the foot sole wrinkles.
What Are The Symptoms Of Trench Feet?
Well this trench foot skin problem affects the entire foot but it typically attacks the toes and heels. It is characterized by:
- A change in color to grey or white
- A great deal of swelling
- Heaviness in the foot
- Flaking of skin
- Shrinking and formation of wrinkles in foot
- Tingling sensation in foot
- Chronic foot pain
- Constant itching
- Blotchy skin
- Numbness of foot
- Cold feet
- Blister beneath the foot
- Redness of skin
- Flaking of skin
- Sudden pain when exposed to heat
What Happen If Trench Foot Is Left Untreated?
If the trench foot is ignored at its initial stage then all the above mentioned symptoms will gradually worsen your foot condition. Meanwhile the trench foot blood vessel gets constrict and cut off oxygen to the affected area. This leads to damaging of the nerves and tissues which further causes Ulcers.
An Advanced trench foot often involves blisters and open sores which further leads to fungal infections. But if the trench foot left untreated then it results in Gangrene, which may need amputation.
What Are The Factors That Causes Trench Foot?
Following are the factors that alone or together responsible for the trench foot problem occurrence.
- Prolonged Standing, as the pressure obstructs blood flow to lower extremities.
- Longer exposure to cold temperatures, this prevents the adequate supply of nutrients and oxygen to feet.
- Wearing of Improper footwear or foot protection
- Not maintaining the poor foot hygiene.
- Exposure to wetness as wet extremities loses heat 25 times more quickly than dry ones.
- Unhealthy diet and poor sleeping habits
Home Remedies For Treating Trench Foot Effectively
Remedy 1# Olive Oil for Trench Foot
Immersion foot problem causes loss of moisture from your foot skin. So, to regain it back olive oil is the best natural skin moisturizer. This oil contains such moisturizing ability that effectively cures trench foot naturally. As, olive oil is the rich source of vitamin E, which helps in regeneration of dead cells.
You may also like:
What To Do:
- Take 1 tbsp of virgin olive oil and warm it slightly.
- Applying it over the affected area, give a massage for 5 minutes.
- Leave it there for all day long if it is possible.
- Try this remedy regularly for faster and effective result.
Remedy 2# Use Petroleum Jelly
Petroleum jelly works quiet effective and faster for the recovery of your foot skin moisture. Since, it doesn’t contain any water so it’s best to use it after bath; while your skin is still damp. Thus at that time it will lock the moisture in.
If you want to avoid the greasy feel after applying the petroleum jelly over the trench feet then rub it into your hands and apply it over the affected part. And rub it until the greasy feeling goes away.
You may also like:
Remedy 3# Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is made of medium chain fatty acid that works as skin moisturizing agent. It is considered as safest immersion foot syndrome remedy if there is no open blister or cuts.
How to use:
- You need to take 1 tbsp of virgin coconut oil and warm it up slightly.
- Now rub it all over your foot area and leave it as it is, if possible.
- You can repeat this remedy throughout the day as much time as you can.
Remedy 4# Himalayan Crystal Salt and Apple Cider Vinegar
You all must have heard of using Apple Cider Vinegar for many of the foot problem. But do you know when this organic Apple Cider Vinegar get combined with the Himalayan Crystal Salt then its works magical to treat trench feet skin problem.
What you need to do:
- Take 2 tbsp of Himalayan Crystal salt and 1/2 cup Organic Apple Cider Vinegar solution mixed in some warm water.
- Either fill this mixture in a spray bottle or use this to wipe your feet using a cloth soaked in this.
- But just make sure you get them after taking the shower and in your dry foot.
- You can also wipe down the inside of shoes and sandals to prevent fungus formation in your footwear.
Remedy 5# Apply German Chamomile
German Chamomile is very effective in treating Psoriasis (the skin condition where you feet skin gets flaky, reddish, crusty patches). It has such anti-inflammatory compounds works to treat this Psoriasis flare up.
What You Need To Do:
- Add a 1 tbsp of German chamomile flowers into one cup of water
- Now steep it for 10 minutes after then strain it out.
- Then apply the liquid to the affected area with clean washcloth.
- And leave it over there all day long.
Remedy 6# Use Rice Water
Rice water contains such starch compound which helps in reliving the dry, scaly foot skin problem. Its starchy water is obtained after boiling the rice. And very effective for those who is already dealing with atopic dermatitis. Rice starch is also very effective in improving the skin barrier function in people having eczema.
It is found that exposing irritated skin to bath water having rice starch 2 times a day for 15 minutes, results to 20 % improvement in healing of the trench foot skin.
How To Prevent Trench Foot Occurrence?
Practicing the proper foot hygiene is obviously important for many other reasons other than the trench foot. But maintaining such routine is quiet difficult if you find yourself in cold, damp environment frequently or your job is where you tend to stand on your foot all day long.
- Keep clean and dry feet before going to bed at night or coming from any dirty place.
- Keep them elevated to help easy blood flow to the complete foot area.
- Clean the inner portion of footwear and set them outside to dry.
- If you have a sweaty feet issue then keeps changing your socks every day.
- If you are going out for outings in damp condition then wear waterproof boots and stay away from materials like vinyl or rubber.
- Always use Vaseline or talcum powder for maintaining the perfect moisture. If your feet sweat profusely then you should see a doctor.
- Daily wearing of same footwear allows to formation of fungus within your foot which further affect your foot skin. So, it’s better to switch them regularly.
Though the above mentioned home remedies to treat trench foot are very effective but one must understand that simple precaution and avoiding longer exposure of your feet to wet place can significantly improve the condition. Natural remedies for trench foot will help you in faster improving of your skin texture and may help you avoid infection.
But if in case problem of trench foot don’t get improved even after trying these remedies then take some medical assistance.