This blog completely emphasizes on ”Foot Ulcer” which is quiet common issue nowadays not only in diabetic sufferer but also in normal people. So, acquire complete knowledge regarding foot ulcer; it’s stages, causes, associated problems, treatment options, prevention and most important natural ways to cure foot ulcer right at your home.
Foot ulcers are not less than a nightmare. It not only looks dreadful but also be an indication of a more serious underlying medical condition. Usually this foot abscess heals on its own within a week or two but sometime the skin doesn’t heal and takes the form of ulcer which is quiet painful and scary too. In this post we have listed down every possible information regarding this so read carefully and get well soon.
What Does a Foot Ulcer Look Like?
The very first thing that comes in your mind that what does a foot ulcer looks like? Well a foot ulcer is an open sore which looks much similar like a blister that has opened with underlying pink raw tissues exposed. An ulcer can be deep and extend down to the bone. Some foot ulcer are infected and drain heavily while some have very little or no drainage.
One very common myth about foot ulcer is that it is commonly encountered by diabetes patients. But actually it’s not like that people develop foot ulcer for many reasons like, Pressure, trauma, and poor blood circulation etc.
Stages Of Foot Ulcer
Doctors likely identify the seriousness of the Foot Abscess or ulcer on a scale of 0 to 3 using the following criteria:
0: no ulcer but foot at risk
1: ulcer present but no infection
2: ulcer deep, exposing joints and tendons
3: extensive ulcers or abscesses from infection
What Causes Ulcer On Feet?
Well the most common causes of having Feet ulcer are as follows:
Poor Blood Circulation:
It is a form of vascular disease which restricts the proper flow of blood to your feet. Poor circulation makes it more difficult for ulcer to heal fast.
High Blood Sugar (hyperglycemia):
Raise in blood sugar level can slow down the healing process of infected foot ulcer. Those who are having type 2 diabetes often take much effort for fighting off the infection from ulcers.
Arterial disease is a result of blocked or damaged nerves in the leg that prevents the flow of blood to the underlying tissues. Damage nerves feel tingly and painful at first. It reduces your sensitivity to foot pain and result in painless wound which further leads to cause ulcers.
Irritated Or Wounded Feet
Ulcer can also be identified by drainage from the affected area of foot ulcer and sometime a noticeable lump that isn’t always painful.
Signs And Symptoms To Identify Leg Ulcers
The most common symptoms that leg ulcers shows are as follows:
- Ankle swelling
- Swollen and enlarged vein in either of your legs
- Leg paining if you stand for long period.
- Discoloration on the leg
- Dry and itchy skin
- Skin gets harder and you will notice scale around the kin
Well these symptoms often vary in their severity. Although most feet ulcer usually disappears in few days, some may be non-healing. It’s better to heal foot ulcer as soon as possible to prevent further complication. Now the question arises what treatment options are available to get rid of the foot ulcer fast.
What Is The Treatment OPTIONS For Foot Ulcers?
To prevent foot soreness stay off your feet, which is also called off loading? Its quiet helpful for diabetic foot ulcers sufferer. Pressure from walking makes the infection worse and expands the ulcer more.
Doctors recommend wearing certain items to protect your feet:
- diabetic shoes
- food braces
- compression wraps
- insert shoes to prevent corns and calluses
Doctors also remove the diabetic foot ulcer with a debridement, the removal of dead skin, foreign objects, or infections that may have caused the ulcer.
Infection is serious complication of a foot ulcer and needed immediate treatment. Tissues around the ulcer sent to the lab to identify which antibiotics will work. If your doctor suspects a serious infection then you doctor will ask you to go for the x –ray just to check the sign of bone infection.
And the Infection of a foot ulcer can easily be prevented with:
- enzyme treatments
- Proper foot baths with anti-septic soaps or liquid and maintaining complete hygiene.
- disinfecting the skin around an ulcer
- Regular dressing changes helps in keeping the keeping the ulcer dry and infection free.
- dressings containing calcium alginates to inhibit bacterial growth
Get Rid Of Foot Ulcer With Natural Remedies:
Gotu kola is a creeping herb is used to treat open wounds like leg ulcers and burns. The presence of compounds like asiatic acid and madecassic acid in gotu kola makes wound healing and anti-inflammatory properties.
- gotu kola leaves or 1 tbsp of dried gotu kola
How to use:
- Grind the Gotu kola leaves with enough water and make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected area and leave it there for 15-20 min.
- At last wash it off. Apply this paste 1-2 times daily.
2# Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a powerful antiseptic used to treat various skin infections. Researchers have also proved that tea tree oil is very much effective in treating chronic leg ulcer. It exhibits strong antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which can be of great help in the treatment and healing of leg ulcer.
- 10 to 12 drops of tea tree oil
- 30 mL of coconut oil
How to use:
- Mix tea tree oil with coconut oil
- Apply little mixture over the leg ulcers.
- You can store the remaining mixture in a clean container for later use.
- Apply this at least twice a day.
Yarrow is quiet similar in effectiveness in treating open wounds like leg ulcers. It exhibits healing properties and works for reducing inflammation and swelling caused by leg abscess.
Yarrow supplements or topical ointment containing yarrow.
How to use:
- Take yarrow supplements (350gm) to help your body recover fast.
- Apply the ointment made of yarrow on the ulcers.
- Use this on regular basis.
4#Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary is used for various purposes including treatment of wounds. It possesses anti-inflammatory properties that help treating the swelling and inflammation. Rosemary is natural antiseptic and hence inhibits bacteria growth in the foot ulcer.
- 3 to 4 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
How to use:
- Mix the rosemary oil with coconut oil.
- Apply this mixture directly on the affected area.
- Repeat this 2-3 times a day.
How To Prevent Diabetic Foot Ulcer Problem
One can easily prevent diabetic foot problems by:
- Washing down your feet every day after coming from outside and also before going to bed at night.
- Trim your toenail adequately but not too short.
- Try to keep your feet dry but completely moisturized.
- Change your socks frequently.
- Go to the podiatrist for corn and callus removal
- Wear proper fitting shoes instead of ill or tight fitting.
- wearing proper-fitting shoes
Permanent removal of foot ulcer is not possible, as it can return even after it has been treated. Scar tissues can get infected if the area is aggravated again, so your doctor can also recommends wearing of the diabetics shoes to prevent ulcer returning.