Are the skins of your feet soles suddenly getting turned with pitted clusters? Do you know what it is? Well it’s a bacterial skin infection called “Pitted keratolysis” that affects the soles of the feet. It is characterized with whitish skin and clusters of punched out pits.
This is accompanied with offensive odor and is worsen when the skin is wet. The foul odor comes though the pitted feet is the main reason for which patients seek treatment for this foot skin problem.
If you too facing the same issue on soles of your feet then just go through this post. As, it contains complete information regarding the pitted keratolysis or pitted feet.
What Causes Pitted Keratolysis?
- Well this particular foot skin problem condition is caused by host of gram-positive bacteria include; Kytococcus sedentarius, Dermatophilus congolensis, streptomyces and actinomyces.
- Enclosed feet and high skin PH increase allows the faster reproduction of these bacteria.
- It helps in production of the digestive enzymes proteases which digest the foot skin proteins which results to cater-like pits which develop into sores.
- The foul odor comes from sulphur compound that is released by the bacteria as a product of metabolism.
Who’s At Risk Of Pitted Keratolysis?
- Pitted keratolysis more likely infect men as compared to women. As Men are more inclined to wear compact shoes in office, workspace.
- It is not fixed that any particular age of people can only get this foot skin problem. Any age group of people will get infected by these bacteria.
- Most commonly affects athletes, construction and industrial workers, and people in the military because of their requirement to wear boots most of the time.
- Those who are having the issue of having frequent sweaty feet or palms also incline to the illness.
- Working in the wet or moist condition such as people working in swimming pools, spas, and paddles.
Factors that leads to development of pitted keratolysis include:
- Oclusive footwear, such as rubber boots or vinyl shoes
- Thickened skin of palms and soles (keratoderma)
- Diabetes mellitus
- Advanced age
- Hot, humid weather
- Excessive sweating of hands and feet (hyperhidrosis)
Is pitted Keratolysis contagious?
Pitted keratolysis also called as “Keratolysis plantare sulcatum,” “Keratoma plantare sulcatum,” and “Ringed keratolysis” is a non-contagious skin infection which is caused because of wearing the tight or ill fitting footwear and excessive sweating. It is caused by bacteria which develops and thrives more rapidly in such conditions.
- Doctors Clinical assess the patient’s sign and symptoms.
- Take a probe using a swab from your foot soles for lab testing which further help in easy identification of the causative microorganism.
- If there is any doubt that the infection has been caused by different strains of fungi. Then in that case skin is scrapped for examination and conformation.
- The wood’s ultraviolet light test is very much helpful. The affected surface show distinctive red fluorescence.
Natural Home Remedies For Pitted Keratolysis :
1#. Onion Juice
Onion is rich source of quercetin and thiosulphinate component which is quiet effective in curing fungal and bacterial foot infections, including warts.
Things you need:
- 1 tbsp of onion juice
- 1 tbsp of betel juice
What to do:
Mix both of these juices together and apply it on the affected area. Apply it twice day until the skin infection gets healed.
2#Oregano Oil For Skin Fungus
Oregano oil is very much effective in easy killing off the fungus causing the fungal infections on the skin. It contains such antimicrobial property that aids in curing as well as preventing the skin fungal infections significantly.
How to use:
- Take 1tbsp of each oregano oil and virgin olive oil. Now after mixing it well apply it on the affected area. Leave it over there for few hours. Then washes it off some clean water.
- Or as next option, you can take 3 drops of oregano oil and add it into a small glass of clean water then drink it after stirring it well.
- Alternatively, you can take 1-2 capsules of oregano oil for 2 times a day after taking the meal.
Note: Make use of the oregano oil which doesn’t any alcohol.
Olive leaves is high in anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties that aid you in killing off fungi. This natural ingredient is well suited to work for recovering from the skin infection more quickly by making your immune system stronger.
Take few olive leaves and grind them finely to make a smooth paste of it. Now apply it directly on the affected area and let it on your skin for ½ an hour. After then wash it off with lukewarm water and then pat the skin dry.
Alternatively, you can also make a tea with olive oil and then drink 2-3 cups of it daily for faster recovery. To make this tea, just add 1-2 tbsp of dried ground olive leaves to a cup of boiling water and after boiling it for 10-15 minutes strain it drink it like tea.
Coconut oil works wonderful in healing off any kind of fungal infection. And it’s all because of the presence of medium chain fatty acids. Apart from this fatty acids act as natural fungicides in order to kill the fungi that are responsible for the foot fungal infection called pitted feet.
How to use:
Just take some coconut oil with some extra virgin oil and mix it well. After then take some quantity of this mixture on your hands and rub it gently on to the affected area.
Repeat it 2-3 times per day till it gets healed completely.
Mix coconut oil with few drops of cinnamon oil. After then apply this mixture onto the affected area.
You can apply this mixture 2 times a day to prevent the growth of fungal infection.
Turmeric is a superb natural antiseptic, antibiotic and antifungal agent. Its healing properties are very effective in quick healing of any kind of skin infection and prevent the infection from reoccurring.
How To Use:
Apply the juice of raw turmeric root on the affected skin area. Leave it on the affected area for 2-3hours, after then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Does this remedy twice a day until the infection get cured completely?
Or else,Boil 1 cup of milk with 1 tbsp of turmeric. And add 1 tbsp of honey into it. Drink it when it warm. This will help in boosting up your immune system and prevent any kind of skin infection.
Self-Care Guidelines For Preventing The Pitted Feet Skin Infection :
Here are the few guidelines which you need to follow in order to avoid the pitted Keratolysis feet skin problem again in future:
- Always wear absorbent cotton socks and change them on regular basis too.
- Don’t forget to wash your feet completely before going to bed with some antibacterial soap or antiseptic cleanser.
- Avoid wearing ill-fitting or occlusive footwear.
- Those who are involved in sports and working out should not linger in their footwear after sweaty exercises. After completing the exercises or workout, it is recommended that one should wear open shoes with adequate air passage.
If your pitted Keratolysis feet infection still won’t show any positive result even after applying these natural remedies then immediately contact to the doctor. We hope above mentioned natural home remedies will make combating foot skin infection easier for you.